So when I started this brief back in February, here is what I wrote about the actual brief & my predicted outcomes:
I’ve recently been doing a brief for Soup - as Soup is a collective I’ve become to want to work with when I finish uni, I decided to ask them if I could do a brief for/with them for my nmp. They’ve been collecting footage from a couple called Dennis & Lois, documenting their stories about how they know almost every band in punk/rock & the ties that they have to the Manchester music scene. The idea was to collate all this footage onto a website & to invite creatives to make a visual interpretation of the pieces of dialogue. The website will appeal to both creatives & music fans alike.
The brief is to create one of the first videos that will be put on the website. The piece I have chosen comes from Dennis, talking about the first time he & Lois met Frank Sidebottom and he tried to explain football to them. I believe a few other people are working on this brief as well with different dialogues, so the website should have a couple of videos on when it’s launched in (hopefully) May time. To keep part of the brief to myself, I suggested that the site needed an identity and idents to tie all the uploaded videos together. Depending on how heavily I experiment, I may also develop a typeface for the website if I have enough time.
Obviously as time has gone on, the brief has changed slightly with what has been possible & with what has been needed. The basic brief remained the same, to create a video for use on the website, but I changed the other deliverables quite considerably due to what were appropriate pieces to support the theme of the video.
I attended several meetings with Soup during the course of this brief, one was where they had invited a web designer in to take a look at building the website. As a result of this, I decided not to attempt a design of the website as a deliverable & focused on sorting out the logo/brand guidelines so they could be applied as soon as possible. Soup also had plans to pitch the idea to the Sheffield film festival, so a logo was also needed in time for this. After this, I only popped down to Soup a couple of times during the course of filming the video due to them having other commitments, but when I did show them my video, it became clear that it was lacking dynamics. Mark suggested some research to look at which really helped with my video.
During the beginning of this brief, I was taking part in the Turing brief, where I actually produced a header font for that. As a result of this, I chose not to create another typeface for Dennis & Lois.
The theme I derived for the video was based on toys. As the audio was not actually about Dennis talking about his & Lois’ love of music, I wanted to incorporate one of their other loves, which is toy collecting. Rather than just using dolls, Tash suggested I look at other types of toys & use these instead. I settled on creating a range of cut out toys (those ones you could cut out clothes with tabs on & put onto the paper doll). I chose these as the dimensions of them being flat & popped up had the potential for several different camera angles.
The main problem I had throughout filming was the lighting. I must’ve filmed the whole piece at least four times. I eventually had to buy some lighting to sort out this problem - the final video is still a little dark in places, but it’s much brighter & feels more alive than any previous video attempts. There’s still tweaks to be done on the final video so I’m fully happy with it to submit to Soup, so I won’t be posting up the final just yet. Also as it’s a live brief, I best not put it up until it gets the ok.
I will however post up a few of the many tests that I filmed & all the supporting outcomes.
Original outcomes: A video in response to the audio clip, a logo, website and typeface.
Actual outcomes: A video in response to the audio clip, logo & branding, cut out characters for use in the video, a toy manual/storyboard, flipbooks, stickers & packaging to hold all outcomes together in one pack.